WANT TO JOIN IN ON THE CONVERSATION?

BECOME A MEMBERRegister

Chicago Bears Fan Forum

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

Kahlil Mack - Is owed Premier QB money and is better off being traded to a contender.

Akiem Hicks - Age catching up to him, plus he is fed up with the Bears. He will just finish his career on one years deals and chase a ring from here out.

Alan Robinson - Was not worth the Tag and is still not worth the Tag. Bears are rebuilding and he is replaceable. Contract mishandled by Pace.

Jason Peters - He only came to the Bears as a favor to Juan Castillo, who only came to the Bears as a favor to Matt Nagy. He was only needed because Pace waited to long to address oline.

Jimmy Graham - Stupid contract to an over the hill TE. Was a good mentor for Kmet but not worth his contract. Another dumb move by Pace.

Andy Dalton - Another stupid contract by Pace. Bears will still have dead money in 2022 on what was a 1 year deal. Dalton was a Pro and does not deserve the scorn he gets from Bears fans.

Nick Foles - Stupid contract by Pace to make Nagy have no more excuses.

Damiere Byrd - JAG

Tashaun Gipson Sr. - Another Pace scramble to fill a slot.

Marquise Goodwin - JAG

Germain Ifedi - Wasted time and money on a guy that had already proven he was JAG.

Damien Williams - Looked good at the start of the season as a change of pace back, but got beat out by a rookie. JAG

Danny Trevethan - Can't stay on the field and his injury history was known when Pace signed him. Should have kept Kwiatkowski.

Bruce Irvin - 1 year deal

Cassius Marsh - 1 year deal

Daz Newsome - 1 year PS Deal

Thomas Graham jr. - 1 year PS Deal

 

 

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

Bears are in rebuild mode and need to fit the roster around Fields to succeed. Defense cannot be forgotten, but the Bears have few picks and a lot of dead money. So you cannot pay defensive players huge contracts when you will not be contending. This is what the Raiders faced after Al Davis died. Had to seriously suck for a couple years to get their Cap straightened out. Bears and the Vikings have a couple years before they are contending for the division again. Lions are team number two right now. They did handle the Packers very nicely last Sunday. Lions on the rise and the Bears and Viking have sunk.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

Corn Cob
Corn Cob's picture
POST COUNT: 8462
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

Dazz Neusome's contract is expired already? Didn't Bears just draft him last off season?

Wanted: intelligent football savvy head coach. Contact George McCaskey.

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

Corn Cob wrote:

Dazz Neusome's contract is expired already? Didn't Bears just draft him last off season?

Daz was cut and then signed to the practice squad. So he was on a one year deal. Sorry Cob.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

Corn Cob
Corn Cob's picture
POST COUNT: 8462
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

Wanted: intelligent football savvy head coach. Contact George McCaskey.

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

Bears have only 3 Wide Receivers under contract for 2022

Darnell Mooney

Nsimba Webster

Isiaha Coulter

Bears also have only 1 TE under contract for 2022

Cole Kmet

Jimmy Graham is just Dead Money and is not under contract

Jesse James is also just Dead Money for 2022 and not under contract

Pace has left a massive mess behind with the roster and dead Money from reworked contracts. His mismanagement of the Cap was ground for dismissal alone not to forget his wnton squandering of futer draft capital.

This making the Bears one of the worst landing spot for a new GM and HC. Lots of Dead Money and no picks.

*Above contract status found on Spotrac

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

The Shadow wrote:

 

Corn Cob wrote:

Dazz Neusome's contract is expired already? Didn't Bears just draft him last off season?

Daz was cut and then signed to the practice squad. So he was on a one year deal. Sorry Cob.

According to a recent Chalk Talk with Larry Mayer,...

"What is the status of contracts for Dazz Newsome and Thomas Graham Jr.? They were not listed as free agents in your recent "Chalk Talk."
Paul D.
Barrington, Illinois

All NFL rookies selected in the second round and later in the NFL Draft sign four-year contracts. So, 2021 sixth-round choices Dazz Newsome and Thomas Graham Jr. are both under contract through the 2024 season. Players picked in the first-round also ink four-year deals, but their contracts include a fifth-year option that their teams can either pick up or decline. The Bears, for example, picked up 2018 first-round selection Roquan Smith's fifth-year option for 2022."

*****

Though Larry is closer to Halas Hall than either myself or Spotrac, I think he is mistaken. Yes, they were drafted and signed 4 year deals. Both were released to waivers and after passing waivers were added to the PS. PS players get a 1 year PS deal. So, I do not understand how they can still be under their original 4 year deal. Cut is cut and those deals are not fully vested. Also PS players are basically weekly employees (something like 10,000 a week) and are not paid the same as Rookies (Pro-rated game checks). Not the same kind of money at all.

*****

Oh shit, Roquan is in a contract year. C'mon Poles get him signed now!

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

_Afrocomb
_Afrocomb's picture
POST COUNT: 674
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

Hello strangers!

Just some potential corrections and a few of my two cents!

According to OverTheCap, you are correct The Shadow about Daz Newsome & Thomas Graham jr.'s original contracts being terminated when they were waived and signed one year practice squad contracts. However when they were promoted to the 53-man squad they actually signed two year contracts and are therefore under contract for 2022 for $825k base salary each! Larry Mayer is talking out of his proverbial!

Jimmy Graham ($4.66m), Andy Dalton ($5m), Tashaun Gipson ($750k), Jesse James ($487.5k), Ifedi ($1.5m) & Damien Williams ($375k) all signed contracts with voidable years and all the voids will come into play in 2022 so all players will count for dead money as indicated in brackets by my understanding. This was Pace's way of reducing the salary to cope with the Covid shortfall and though was a commonly used method in the last two years, is still a bitter pill, left as Pace's final act, to swallow!

Khalil Mack will be back, as cutting or trading him amounts to the same thing, a saving of just over $3m cap space for $27m in dead money. I'd much rather get 6 games out of him than $3m in cap space!

I don't expect Robinson back, Hicks would be a surprise. Of the voidable bunch I could see Gipson and/or James at league minimum, but that's only because the Bears need bodies, the rest should be gone.

If they can trade Foles they need to, if not I'd swallow the Dead Money just to save the $3m in cap space!

Trevathan's contract is a mess, actually costs more against the cap tp cut him so expect him to stick around.

The cap situation is not great! $30m of cap space may seem at first glance a windfall, but we have some free agents that may we want to keep but will cost, (Nichols, Daniels, Irvin, Grant and O'Donnell). Then add to that that there are 10 team with more cap space than that and it may become a expensive market although given how many teams are going to have to make cuts to get under the cap this may not be the case!

This by my reckoning will be a transition year, the estimated cap space in 2023 goes crazy for many teams including the Bears. The main hope for the team is that whoever comes in can get the best from Fields and can get Roquan an extension that doesn't kick in till next year. Then at least will have keystones on both sides of the ball to build around going forward!

Corn Cob
Corn Cob's picture
POST COUNT: 8462
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

As usual...thanks for the cap information, Afro!

Don't be such a stranger moving forward!yes

Wanted: intelligent football savvy head coach. Contact George McCaskey.

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: Bears players who will/may not return in 2022
0

_Afrocomb wrote:

Hello strangers!

Just some potential corrections and a few of my two cents!

According to OverTheCap, you are correct The Shadow about Daz Newsome & Thomas Graham jr.'s original contracts being terminated when they were waived and signed one year practice squad contracts. However when they were promoted to the 53-man squad they actually signed two year contracts and are therefore under contract for 2022 for $825k base salary each! Larry Mayer is talking out of his proverbial!

Jimmy Graham ($4.66m), Andy Dalton ($5m), Tashaun Gipson ($750k), Jesse James ($487.5k), Ifedi ($1.5m) & Damien Williams ($375k) all signed contracts with voidable years and all the voids will come into play in 2022 so all players will count for dead money as indicated in brackets by my understanding. This was Pace's way of reducing the salary to cope with the Covid shortfall and though was a commonly used method in the last two years, is still a bitter pill, left as Pace's final act, to swallow!

Khalil Mack will be back, as cutting or trading him amounts to the same thing, a saving of just over $3m cap space for $27m in dead money. I'd much rather get 6 games out of him than $3m in cap space!

I don't expect Robinson back, Hicks would be a surprise. Of the voidable bunch I could see Gipson and/or James at league minimum, but that's only because the Bears need bodies, the rest should be gone.

If they can trade Foles they need to, if not I'd swallow the Dead Money just to save the $3m in cap space!

Trevathan's contract is a mess, actually costs more against the cap tp cut him so expect him to stick around.

The cap situation is not great! $30m of cap space may seem at first glance a windfall, but we have some free agents that may we want to keep but will cost, (Nichols, Daniels, Irvin, Grant and O'Donnell). Then add to that that there are 10 team with more cap space than that and it may become a expensive market although given how many teams are going to have to make cuts to get under the cap this may not be the case!

This by my reckoning will be a transition year, the estimated cap space in 2023 goes crazy for many teams including the Bears. The main hope for the team is that whoever comes in can get the best from Fields and can get Roquan an extension that doesn't kick in till next year. Then at least will have keystones on both sides of the ball to build around going forward!

Thanks AC for your expert Cap Breakdown. I understand the rules of the Cap but am not as versed as you are in it. For awhile I thought I was the only one that understood what Pace was doing to the Cap and the position he was putting the team into. Funny how other teams seem to manage their Cap and not get into the bad habit of pushing money to dummy years. (Kicking the  Can) so to speak. I agree also with your keep/trade/fire list too. I love Akiem Hicks and what he brings to that defense, but he is as good as gone. Unless the new powers that be want him back. Kahlil is only getting out of here if some team decides they just can't play without him. Foles needs to go one way or another. I just read an analysis of the unlikely pairing of Justin as #1 and Foles as his backup #2. It is untenable as he is the opposite type of QB form Fields. Immobile, pocket passing old school type of QB. A team would have to have two different offensive schemes to play both. Trevethan needs to do the honorable thing and retire, thus letting the Bears get a little relief from his awful contract. (Thanks again Ryam Pace, should have kept Kwiatkowski.).

$34M in cap versus $30M is dead Cap hit kind of negates one another. Without all the stupid dealing of Pace, Bears would have @$64M in Cap space. Then if that were the case, Robinson would not have been Franchised, good players would not have walked and the Bears would not have so many damn holes in the roster as they do now.

 

Glad to see you back and hope all is well with you and yours.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

HIREPLY
10 posts / 0 new
Last post
MEMBERS ONLINE: 0