WANT TO JOIN IN ON THE CONVERSATION?

BECOME A MEMBERRegister

Chicago Bears Fan Forum

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Corn Cob
Corn Cob's picture
POST COUNT: 8462
So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

I'm kinda intrigued with the Bengals OC. What he's done with Joe Burrows is what I'd like to see Fields become.

Don't know much about the man, just kinda impressed with how he's played to Burrows strengths in their offensive schemes.

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

I am not ready to jump on the candidate bandwagon just yet.

But I do know what I do not want....

No so and so clones....If their prospect is prefaced with the terms "He is just like a younger blah, blah blah." Insert favorite HC here.

No more Andy Reid tree choices. (There is a good reason why Bienemy is not getting a shot at a HC gig. The Reid tree is full of rotten fruit. Andy is Andy and his position coaches are just that, position coaches.

No, to any applicant from Bellichecks tree. None have panned out.

No, to any old College HC legends! (Nothing wrong with most College coaches, just please no Legends)

No, to old NFL retreads! No to Pete Carroll when he gets fired. No more John Fox's either. It is rumored that Pace had a verbal agreement with Quinn before Fox was forced on the first year GM by McCaskey and Ernie Accorsi. So Quinn would be a retread, am I right?

I would like to see a proven teacher of the QB position. Not a guy who got unearned credit for a QBs success, like Nagy. Reid was responsible for Smiths resurgence and not Nagy nor Pederson. Both got HC gig after getting credit for that myth.

 

 

 

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

So, I am wondering if Ryan Day from Ohio State would be the right guy. Big school success 34-4, familiarity with Justin, has Pro experience. One drawback is he is a Chip Kelly disciple and protoge'.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

PapaBear.OR
PapaBear.OR's picture
POST COUNT: 13436
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

Jim Harbaugh

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/chicago-football/jim-harbaugh-nfl-rumors-gaining-momentum/2722749/

 

Get rid of Pace, give Jim the control he wants, bring back Fangio as DC and find a GM those two are comfortable with.

Butkus never wore an earring

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

PapaBear.OR wrote:

Jim Harbaugh

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/chicago-football/jim-harbaugh-nfl-rumors-gaining-momentum/2722749/

 

Get rid of Pace, give Jim the control he wants, bring back Fangio as DC and find a GM those two are comfortable with.

My problem with Jim is he is great at turning around a program and getting a lot out of his players, but he cannot sustain it. He has never lasted more than 4-5 years anywhere. I would love to have Fangio back, but I think he retires now when he gets fired. He finally got his shot at HC and it did not go well.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

PapaBear.OR
PapaBear.OR's picture
POST COUNT: 13436
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

The Shadow wrote:

 

PapaBear.OR wrote:

Jim Harbaugh

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/chicago-football/jim-harbaugh-nfl-rumors-gaining-momentum/2722749/

 

Get rid of Pace, give Jim the control he wants, bring back Fangio as DC and find a GM those two are comfortable with.

My problem with Jim is he is great at turning around a program and getting a lot out of his players, but he cannot sustain it. He has never lasted more than 4-5 years anywhere. I would love to have Fangio back, but I think he retires now when he gets fired. He finally got his shot at HC and it did not go well.

I understand and you are not wrong based on hard cold statistical fact.

HOWEVER

Don't quote me but off the top of my head I believe Jim is 41-19. 

Putting your 4-5 years into context, everywhere he left in that amount of time (4-5 years) he left with a winning record.  Everywhere he left, it was not do to a lack of performance but rather a falling out with upper managment.  That is why I suggest giving him the control he wants.

Bottom line and this may be sad to say, but even if you are spot on and he only lasted 4-5 years, personally I would happily take 4-5 years of quality competitive football over the hot mess we have suffered through since Lovie left.  10-6 I believe is what the team finished in Lovie's last season and I long for that.  If Jim came to the Bears and did exactly what he did in SF, built a team capable of going to the SB, I would be perfectly satisfied win lose or draw.

Butkus never wore an earring

Corn Cob
Corn Cob's picture
POST COUNT: 8462
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

I guess I could live with Harbaugh being named HC, but I'm real tepid as far as a suitable fix to all problems Bears.

I follow the Big10 conference closely since my Hawkeyes are in that one. I think Michigan's victory over Ohio State this fall was over blown as far as Harbaugh coaching was concerned. Honestly I think Harbaugh was being considered to be let go after the season if he hadn't won that contest. His Wolverines struggled against the middle of the road teams for most of the games, only to pull out a victory in last minute comebacks.

And just listening to some of his media interviews, I'm not sure Harbaugh isn't half nuts. Imo he came across as being a little like Urban Meyer with his saying and quotes during the interviews. I could see issues engulfing the Bears because of this.

Once again, he might have a good track record, but I don't think he'd be the Bears best choice!

 

Wanted: intelligent football savvy head coach. Contact George McCaskey.

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

PapaBear.OR wrote:

 

The Shadow wrote:

 

PapaBear.OR wrote:

Jim Harbaugh

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/chicago-football/jim-harbaugh-nfl-rumors-gaining-momentum/2722749/

 

Get rid of Pace, give Jim the control he wants, bring back Fangio as DC and find a GM those two are comfortable with.

My problem with Jim is he is great at turning around a program and getting a lot out of his players, but he cannot sustain it. He has never lasted more than 4-5 years anywhere. I would love to have Fangio back, but I think he retires now when he gets fired. He finally got his shot at HC and it did not go well.

I understand and you are not wrong based on hard cold statistical fact.

HOWEVER

Don't quote me but off the top of my head I believe Jim is 41-19. 

Putting your 4-5 years into context, everywhere he left in that amount of time (4-5 years) he left with a winning record.  Everywhere he left, it was not do to a lack of performance but rather a falling out with upper managment.  That is why I suggest giving him the control he wants.

Bottom line and this may be sad to say, but even if you are spot on and he only lasted 4-5 years, personally I would happily take 4-5 years of quality competitive football over the hot mess we have suffered through since Lovie left.  10-6 I believe is what the team finished in Lovie's last season and I long for that.  If Jim came to the Bears and did exactly what he did in SF, built a team capable of going to the SB, I would be perfectly satisfied win lose or draw.

Agreed, but it would only provide a short period of success, then it would be right back to mediocre or worse. Looking at the 49's post Harbaugh, how long is it taking them to get back into contention? Is Shannahan the third or fourth HC since Jim?

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11503
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

Are there any other possible options out there that are not just retreads from other teams or "can't miss" cough* cough* Coordinators with more credit than they deserve? It is possible for a former coach to have success. But is that the only way now? Did the Bears miss their chance when they fired Lovie but failed to give Toub a shot? Should Fangio have been given the reigns post Fox?

Should the Bears be looking internally for a replacement? Is there anyone on staff that could be that diamond in the rough they are looking for? Okay, no one on the offensive staff but maybe from the defense?

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

Sluggobear
Sluggobear's picture
POST COUNT: 503
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

I believe Ryan Pace will be relieved of his GM duties on Bloody Monday. My three choices for new GM are Rick Smith, Ed Dodd or Jeff Ireland. The coaches I prefer are Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh. We need a new coach who is well connected so a good staff can be built.

Corn Cob
Corn Cob's picture
POST COUNT: 8462
Re: So who's your guy? The Bear's next coach you'd like to see hired.....
0

How about Vikings GM Rick Spielman for Gm?

He's familiar with the opponents in the division. He seems to hit in the first few rounds of the draft most years.....he has built up the Vikings depth on their roster the last few years.

Only strike I'd have against him is the bloated contract he gave to QB Cousins. He pulled a Pace with that one.

Wanted: intelligent football savvy head coach. Contact George McCaskey.

HIREPLY
31 posts / 0 new
Last post
MEMBERS ONLINE: 0