WANT TO JOIN IN ON THE CONVERSATION?

BECOME A MEMBERRegister

Chicago Bears Fan Forum

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11523
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

Calbrooks wrote:

I think the whole debate over sitting rookies vs starting them is silly. Like there is some formula. A guy can either play or he can't. If he can play then let him play. He will make the same mistakes as he learns either way. It still is a team sport. The offense and coaching around a rookie QB are way more important than sitting on the bench for a year. 
 

if Fields is the QB we hope he is, he will do just fine and we will see him improve week to week. If he is a bust, well he will play just good enough for half the fans to love him and the other half to hate him.

I agree and disagree with your statement. Many a top round QB busted out of the league because he wasn't quite ready or his team was not ready for him. David Carr is a great example. Aaron Rodger is who he is because he sat behind Favre for many seasons and could learn and prepare without pressure. When he came out Alex Smith was taken over him number one overall because it was felt he was Pro Ready and Rodger wasn't.  I think there was a maturity issue with Rodgers that made teams second guess his skills. We still see that immaturity every year, but result excuse bad behavior.

I was all willing to see Justin sit a year. The oline was/is not ready for him. Jenkins went to IR and so did Borom. His future bookend tackles aren't ready yet. Wide Receiver room is going to remade next year as only Mooney has a multiyear deal. The rest are one year deals or Tagged. Bears are one more draft away from being set, but as usual, the Bears will not have a full load of picks.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

BamaBear09
BamaBear09's picture
POST COUNT: 792
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

The Shadow wrote:

 

Calbrooks wrote:

I think the whole debate over sitting rookies vs starting them is silly. Like there is some formula. A guy can either play or he can't. If he can play then let him play. He will make the same mistakes as he learns either way. It still is a team sport. The offense and coaching around a rookie QB are way more important than sitting on the bench for a year. 
 

if Fields is the QB we hope he is, he will do just fine and we will see him improve week to week. If he is a bust, well he will play just good enough for half the fans to love him and the other half to hate him.

I agree and disagree with your statement. Many a top round QB busted out of the league because he wasn't quite ready or his team was not ready for him. David Carr is a great example. Aaron Rodger is who he is because he sat behind Favre for many seasons and could learn and prepare without pressure. When he came out Alex Smith was taken over him number one overall because it was felt he was Pro Ready and Rodger wasn't.  I think there was a maturity issue with Rodgers that made teams second guess his skills. We still see that immaturity every year, but result excuse bad behavior.

I was all willing to see Justin sit a year. The oline was/is not ready for him. Jenkins went to IR and so did Borom. His future bookend tackles aren't ready yet. Wide Receiver room is going to remade next year as only Mooney has a multiyear deal. The rest are one year deals or Tagged. Bears are one more draft away from being set, but as usual, the Bears will not have a full load of picks.

How do you know Rodgers was good because he sat?  Just because it happened that way doesn't mean it was necessary... Again, if Angelo had been smart and instead of just assuming he had a QB in Sexy Rexy, he could have grabbed Rodgers when he fell into our lap at 5... instead he took a worn down running back to replace the reaching his prime back we had in place... Angelo was a wiz when it came to picking up players off other team's trash heaps but god was he awful at judging college to NFL talent for big time recruits...

If Aaron Rodgers had been selected by the Bears in the 2005 draft, we'd prob have at least two to three championships over his tenure and he would easily be the greatest QB the franchise as ever seen.  There would have been no reason to trade for Cutler in 2009 and we may still have Lovie Smith as a coach to this day...

Also with regards to Cal's comment

"If he is a bust, well he will play just good enough for half the fans to love him and the other half to hate him."

first off, very good and hilarious line and second it's sad cause the reason that happens here is because of how bad our history of QB play has been... some folks so want for a QB they confuse mediocre for good... we were also fooled into thinking we had a good offense in 2018 as well, it was a sub-par offense that was supremely helped by a ball hawking defense that forced 6 defensive TDs as well as short fields... which is why it was hard to replicate in 2019 and 2020... we are finally seeing that defense again... hopefully Fields can make the offense work properly and maybe we'll finally see a deep playoff run... the line will be fine as long as Peters can stay healthy, Ifedi has played well so far... could use a new center with a little more strength at the point of attack but Mustipher will be servicable for the year.  And I can't wait to see this WR room fly with someone who can extend plays and throw it deep...

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11523
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

BamaBear09 wrote:

 

The Shadow wrote:

 

Calbrooks wrote:

I think the whole debate over sitting rookies vs starting them is silly. Like there is some formula. A guy can either play or he can't. If he can play then let him play. He will make the same mistakes as he learns either way. It still is a team sport. The offense and coaching around a rookie QB are way more important than sitting on the bench for a year. 
 

if Fields is the QB we hope he is, he will do just fine and we will see him improve week to week. If he is a bust, well he will play just good enough for half the fans to love him and the other half to hate him.

I agree and disagree with your statement. Many a top round QB busted out of the league because he wasn't quite ready or his team was not ready for him. David Carr is a great example. Aaron Rodger is who he is because he sat behind Favre for many seasons and could learn and prepare without pressure. When he came out Alex Smith was taken over him number one overall because it was felt he was Pro Ready and Rodger wasn't.  I think there was a maturity issue with Rodgers that made teams second guess his skills. We still see that immaturity every year, but result excuse bad behavior.

I was all willing to see Justin sit a year. The oline was/is not ready for him. Jenkins went to IR and so did Borom. His future bookend tackles aren't ready yet. Wide Receiver room is going to remade next year as only Mooney has a multiyear deal. The rest are one year deals or Tagged. Bears are one more draft away from being set, but as usual, the Bears will not have a full load of picks.

How do you know Rodgers was good because he sat?  Just because it happened that way doesn't mean it was necessary... Again, if Angelo had been smart and instead of just assuming he had a QB in Sexy Rexy, he could have grabbed Rodgers when he fell into our lap at 5... instead he took a worn down running back to replace the reaching his prime back we had in place... Angelo was a wiz when it came to picking up players off other team's trash heaps but god was he awful at judging college to NFL talent for big time recruits...

If Aaron Rodgers had been selected by the Bears in the 2005 draft, we'd prob have at least two to three championships over his tenure and he would easily be the greatest QB the franchise as ever seen.  There would have been no reason to trade for Cutler in 2009 and we may still have Lovie Smith as a coach to this day...

Also with regards to Cal's comment

"If he is a bust, well he will play just good enough for half the fans to love him and the other half to hate him."

first off, very good and hilarious line and second it's sad cause the reason that happens here is because of how bad our history of QB play has been... some folks so want for a QB they confuse mediocre for good... we were also fooled into thinking we had a good offense in 2018 as well, it was a sub-par offense that was supremely helped by a ball hawking defense that forced 6 defensive TDs as well as short fields... which is why it was hard to replicate in 2019 and 2020... we are finally seeing that defense again... hopefully Fields can make the offense work properly and maybe we'll finally see a deep playoff run... the line will be fine as long as Peters can stay healthy, Ifedi has played well so far... could use a new center with a little more strength at the point of attack but Mustipher will be servicable for the year.  And I can't wait to see this WR room fly with someone who can extend plays and throw it deep...

That is just it, I do not know!

My feeling is it helped him and many football experts have said the same. Maybe Green Bay would have 6 Lombardi's if they had fired Favre and started Rodger the very first game. My point is, I had no issue with Fields not playing. As I stated, the oline is incomplete. Bears have ruined more QBs by making them play behind makeshift and out right crappy olines. Who know how many Superbowls the Bears could have won if they had just once hired the right HC who at least thought offense was important???

I am proud to be a Bear fan, but seriously, this franchise has been a trainwreck for years. Actually more of a delapidated Roller Coaster. Up and Down, Up and Down.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11523
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

BamaBear09 wrote:

 

The Shadow wrote:

 

Calbrooks wrote:

I think the whole debate over sitting rookies vs starting them is silly. Like there is some formula. A guy can either play or he can't. If he can play then let him play. He will make the same mistakes as he learns either way. It still is a team sport. The offense and coaching around a rookie QB are way more important than sitting on the bench for a year. 
 

if Fields is the QB we hope he is, he will do just fine and we will see him improve week to week. If he is a bust, well he will play just good enough for half the fans to love him and the other half to hate him.

I agree and disagree with your statement. Many a top round QB busted out of the league because he wasn't quite ready or his team was not ready for him. David Carr is a great example. Aaron Rodger is who he is because he sat behind Favre for many seasons and could learn and prepare without pressure. When he came out Alex Smith was taken over him number one overall because it was felt he was Pro Ready and Rodger wasn't.  I think there was a maturity issue with Rodgers that made teams second guess his skills. We still see that immaturity every year, but result excuse bad behavior.

I was all willing to see Justin sit a year. The oline was/is not ready for him. Jenkins went to IR and so did Borom. His future bookend tackles aren't ready yet. Wide Receiver room is going to remade next year as only Mooney has a multiyear deal. The rest are one year deals or Tagged. Bears are one more draft away from being set, but as usual, the Bears will not have a full load of picks.

How do you know Rodgers was good because he sat?  Just because it happened that way doesn't mean it was necessary... Again, if Angelo had been smart and instead of just assuming he had a QB in Sexy Rexy, he could have grabbed Rodgers when he fell into our lap at 5... instead he took a worn down running back to replace the reaching his prime back we had in place... Angelo was a wiz when it came to picking up players off other team's trash heaps but god was he awful at judging college to NFL talent for big time recruits...

If Aaron Rodgers had been selected by the Bears in the 2005 draft, we'd prob have at least two to three championships over his tenure and he would easily be the greatest QB the franchise as ever seen.  There would have been no reason to trade for Cutler in 2009 and we may still have Lovie Smith as a coach to this day...

Also with regards to Cal's comment

"If he is a bust, well he will play just good enough for half the fans to love him and the other half to hate him."

first off, very good and hilarious line and second it's sad cause the reason that happens here is because of how bad our history of QB play has been... some folks so want for a QB they confuse mediocre for good... we were also fooled into thinking we had a good offense in 2018 as well, it was a sub-par offense that was supremely helped by a ball hawking defense that forced 6 defensive TDs as well as short fields... which is why it was hard to replicate in 2019 and 2020... we are finally seeing that defense again... hopefully Fields can make the offense work properly and maybe we'll finally see a deep playoff run... the line will be fine as long as Peters can stay healthy, Ifedi has played well so far... could use a new center with a little more strength at the point of attack but Mustipher will be servicable for the year.  And I can't wait to see this WR room fly with someone who can extend plays and throw it deep...

Man I hope you are right about Fields. I just do not see Nagy putting him in a position to do all that though. Pace hired all that speed this year and I think we have seen 2 passes deep in 2 games. A lot of Screens though. TEs got one good target last Sunday. But hey, maybe a Leopard can change his shorts.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

BamaBear09
BamaBear09's picture
POST COUNT: 792
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

The Shadow wrote:

Bears have ruined more QBs by making them play behind makeshift and out right crappy olines. Who know how many Superbowls the Bears could have won if they had just once hired the right HC who at least thought offense was important???

I am proud to be a Bear fan, but seriously, this franchise has been a trainwreck for years. Actually more of a delapidated Roller Coaster. Up and Down, Up and Down.

I don't believe the Bears have ruined any QBs just that they have always taken or picked up bad ones.... McMahon may have been a decent QB but if they hadn't settled on him and taken Marino they would have been better... The Bears traded a first round pick to Seattle for Ric Mirer, after he showed nothing in his years in the NFL... what makes this worse is Erik Kramer was already in Chicago and had already shown he was mediocre to solid if he could stay healthy... but they traded a pick to Seattle for a guy with 56 INTs to 41 TDs in 4 seasons with the seahawks... Who other than Chicago would think that was a good trade??  To make things worse the Bears pick in the first round would have allowed them to take Tony Gonzalez... and judging from their second round pick, trading up two spots for TE John Allred, they were in the market for a TE... but nope they traded away a pick that could have been a HOF TE for a 5th year QB with more INTs than TDs.... and the Bears third round pick was Bob Sapp... the guy who would go onto become a fighter... man this team really hurt themselves by not having a GM for so many years... 

I mean reel off the names of the guys who started for the Bears during the Favre years... none of these guys were good college QBs who put up good college numbers... they were just guys... can't ruin guys who are just guys... bad oline or not... cause Rex Grossman had a solid line and he was still inconsistent.... but A-Rod behind those lines in the early 2000 and this team would have multple championships....  the Bears has just always had bad QBs... we almost don't know what it's like to have a good QB...

BamaBear09
BamaBear09's picture
POST COUNT: 792
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

The Shadow wrote:

Man I hope you are right about Fields. I just do not see Nagy putting him in a position to do all that though. Pace hired all that speed this year and I think we have seen 2 passes deep in 2 games. A lot of Screens though. TEs got one good target last Sunday. But hey, maybe a Leopard can change his shorts.

Fields is who we all wished Trubisky was... Fields missed a couple throws and got those two false starts due to his lack of reps with the 1s... and ARob dropping the TD pass... his numbers did not reflect how well he played in the game.  I don't think Nagy can screw him up... the worse that could come from all this is Nagy hangs around longer because Fields makes him look good.  I also don't believe the gameplan for last game was tailored to FIelds at all... Also I believe that Nagy was afraid to try the Rams deep... 

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 11523
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

BamaBear09 wrote:

 

The Shadow wrote:

Man I hope you are right about Fields. I just do not see Nagy putting him in a position to do all that though. Pace hired all that speed this year and I think we have seen 2 passes deep in 2 games. A lot of Screens though. TEs got one good target last Sunday. But hey, maybe a Leopard can change his shorts.

Fields is who we all wished Trubisky was... Fields missed a couple throws and got those two false starts due to his lack of reps with the 1s... and ARob dropping the TD pass... his numbers did not reflect how well he played in the game.  I don't think Nagy can screw him up... the worse that could come from all this is Nagy hangs around longer because Fields makes him look good.  I also don't believe the gameplan for last game was tailored to FIelds at all... Also I believe that Nagy was afraid to try the Rams deep... 

I hope you are right! I am stoked to see Justin play today. He had all week with the ones, so he should be on top of everything and the gameplan should be tailored to his skill set. I just hope Nagy does not let us down.

2022  Prepare for the Suck!

2023 A Bright new Day!

Ryan Poles ripping off the band-aids since 2022!

 

PapaBear.OR
PapaBear.OR's picture
POST COUNT: 13436
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

The Shadow wrote:

 

.......... the gameplan should be tailored to his skill set. I just hope Nagy does not let us down.

Butkus never wore an earring

Corn Cob
Corn Cob's picture
POST COUNT: 8464
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

PapaBear.OR wrote:

 

The Shadow wrote:

 

.......... the gameplan should be tailored to his skill set. I just hope Nagy does not let us down.

Wanted: intelligent football savvy head coach. Contact George McCaskey.

PapaBear.OR
PapaBear.OR's picture
POST COUNT: 13436
Re: Justin Fields, Will he be the one?
0

Chicago Bears name Justin Fields starting quarterback

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/chicago-bears-justin-fields-starting-quarterback-172516443/

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1445795736025645067?s=20

Bears name rookie QB Justin Fields permanent starter

Justin Fields is the Chicago Bears' starting quarterback -- permanently.

Bears coach Matt Nagy announced Wednesday that the rookie will remain the starter moving forward, even though Andy Dalton is slated to be a full participant in practice today.

"He's done everything to show us that he's ready for this opportunity," Nagy told reporters.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-name-rookie-qb-justin-fields-permanent-starter

Butkus never wore an earring

HIREPLY
MEMBERS ONLINE: 0