WANT TO JOIN IN ON THE CONVERSATION?

BECOME A MEMBERRegister

Chicago Bears Fan Forum

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 8958
Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

Remember back when the Bears were always the first team ti sign their draftees? Ever since Charlie got a new job at Halas Hall, we never hear about them getting people signed until almost the last minute. Why is this? I realise with the Rookie Wage scale it is not so important anymore. But I keep reading about all these other teams getting their new guys under contract.

 

BamaBear09
BamaBear09's picture
POST COUNT: 508
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

The Shadow wrote:

Remember back when the Bears were always the first team ti sign their draftees? Ever since Charlie got a new job at Halas Hall, we never hear about them getting people signed until almost the last minute. Why is this? I realise with the Rookie Wage scale it is not so important anymore. But I keep reading about all these other teams getting their new guys under contract.

The cause of slow signing is the weird off-set language... like with Roquan last year, where they tried to sneak wording in that would allow them to void guarantees if he were suspended or fined for an illegal hit or something on field... so normally that is the hang up point...

PapaBear.OR
PapaBear.OR's picture
POST COUNT: 11547
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

Yeh I don't know, I haven't seen anywhere that we have begun to sign our picks but now that you mention it I haven't looked for it either.

As far as I know they all showed up and participated in the rookie mini-camp.

Butkus never wore an earring

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 8958
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

PapaBear.OR wrote:

Yeh I don't know, I haven't seen anywhere that we have begun to sign our picks but now that you mention it I haven't looked for it either.

As far as I know they all showed up and participated in the rookie mini-camp.

Rookie Minicamp is non-contact, so they all just sign waivers and it is mandatory. Roquan was present for Rookie Mini-camp last year. It was after that, that he held out.

Having a lot of tools does not make you a Carpenter.  -Vic Fangio

 

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 8958
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

BamaBear09 wrote:

 

The Shadow wrote:

Remember back when the Bears were always the first team ti sign their draftees? Ever since Charlie got a new job at Halas Hall, we never hear about them getting people signed until almost the last minute. Why is this? I realise with the Rookie Wage scale it is not so important anymore. But I keep reading about all these other teams getting their new guys under contract.

The cause of slow signing is the weird off-set language... like with Roquan last year, where they tried to sneak wording in that would allow them to void guarantees if he were suspended or fined for an illegal hit or something on field... so normally that is the hang up point...

Off-set language is typically only for 1st rounders. (Maybe for a very high second rounder also) Bears only have a 3rd, 4th, 6th and 2 7th rounders to sign. There is no real reason to delay.

Having a lot of tools does not make you a Carpenter.  -Vic Fangio

 

BamaBear09
BamaBear09's picture
POST COUNT: 508
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

The Shadow wrote:

 

BamaBear09 wrote:

 

The Shadow wrote:

Remember back when the Bears were always the first team ti sign their draftees? Ever since Charlie got a new job at Halas Hall, we never hear about them getting people signed until almost the last minute. Why is this? I realise with the Rookie Wage scale it is not so important anymore. But I keep reading about all these other teams getting their new guys under contract.

The cause of slow signing is the weird off-set language... like with Roquan last year, where they tried to sneak wording in that would allow them to void guarantees if he were suspended or fined for an illegal hit or something on field... so normally that is the hang up point...

Off-set language is typically only for 1st rounders. (Maybe for a very high second rounder also) Bears only have a 3rd, 4th, 6th and 2 7th rounders to sign. There is no real reason to delay.

This is very true, also considering first overall is already signed, they should get on this

PapaBear.OR
PapaBear.OR's picture
POST COUNT: 11547
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

Word on the street is that they have worked it into the kicker competition to try to add another level of stress to the tryouts.  Each was assigned to a kicker, and no one gets a contract till one of um hits a 43 yarder.

Butkus never wore an earring

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 8958
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

PapaBear.OR wrote:

Word on the street is that they have worked it into the kicker competition to try to add another level of stress to the tryouts.  Each was assigned to a kicker, and no one gets a contract till one of um hits a 43 yarder.

All of the remaining kickers have made the infamous 43 yarder....so it must be 50 yards by now! (Those that missed the 43 yarder are now on the Vikings)

Having a lot of tools does not make you a Carpenter.  -Vic Fangio

 

Calbrooks
Calbrooks's picture
POST COUNT: 7937
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

I have to admit, I was always bragging that the Bears had their players signed first. And why not, most of those years it was one of the few things we won at...

Maybe this is just me making excuses, but who cares when they sign? Assuming they all are happy and ready to go for OTAs, 1st, 2nd, 100th, does it really matter?

Train like you are 2nd, but play like you are 1st.

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 8958
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

Calbrooks wrote:

I have to admit, I was always bragging that the Bears had their players signed first. And why not, most of those years it was one of the few things we won at...

Maybe this is just me making excuses, but who cares when they sign? Assuming they all are happy and ready to go for OTAs, 1st, 2nd, 100th, does it really matter?

Well, it does matter when your first round pick misses all of training camp, hardly plays in the pre-season, misses week one against the Packers and needed half the season to really get rolling. All because they did not see any reason to get their deals done.

And he lost his play book.

Having a lot of tools does not make you a Carpenter.  -Vic Fangio

 

Calbrooks
Calbrooks's picture
POST COUNT: 7937
Re: Whatever happened to Charlie Stein?
0

The Shadow wrote:

 

Calbrooks wrote:

I have to admit, I was always bragging that the Bears had their players signed first. And why not, most of those years it was one of the few things we won at...

Maybe this is just me making excuses, but who cares when they sign? Assuming they all are happy and ready to go for OTAs, 1st, 2nd, 100th, does it really matter?

Well, it does matter when your first round pick misses all of training camp, hardly plays in the pre-season, misses week one against the Packers and needed half the season to really get rolling. All because they did not see any reason to get their deals done.

And he lost his play book.

Ummmm, so that breaks the qualify of, “ready to go for OTAs”. I hope that the cluster f*** that was Smith is a one off. He was demanding things that held the process up. That’s not all on the Bears. And I am still resentful for him doing it. 

The contract he was asking for was outside the norms, the holdout therefor falls on his shoulders. I am irritated at both sides, but the bottom line is that Smith decided to let his agent use him to push an agenda. And he let that agenda come before being there for his team.

Perhaps if he had been ready game one we would have won that one. 13-3 with a bye. Personally I think all this offset language needs to be fought by the NFLPA during contract negotiations. They set the ground rules that both sides have to abide by with contracts. Neither players or teams should be allowed to reach outside those ground rules. Otherwise get rid of the union and make it a free for all.

Train like you are 2nd, but play like you are 1st.

HIREPLY
15 posts / 0 new
Last post
MEMBERS ONLINE: 0