WANT TO JOIN IN ON THE CONVERSATION?

BECOME A MEMBERRegister

NFL News

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 7815
NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

NFC preseason grades, Week 2: Josh Rosen, Daron Payne excel

By Bucky Brooks

Preseason Week 2 grades: NFC

Arizona Cardinals: Josh Rosen, QB. The rookie passer played like a vet against the Saints, completing 10 of 16 passes for 107 yards and a score. Rosen not only showed outstanding poise and composure working through his progressions, but he flashed the accuracy, anticipation and timing that made him one of the top quarterbacks in the 2018 draft class. Given the way No. 3 is beginning to develop chemistry with his receivers, particularly fellow rookie Christian Kirk, it is only a matter of time before Rosen ascends to the QB1 role this season. Grade: A-

Atlanta Falcons: Calvin Ridley, WR. The rookie pass catcher already looks like a potential superstar as a silky smooth route runner with outstanding hands and ball skills. Ridley snagged three passes for 49 yards and a touchdown on an assortment of stop-start routes between the hashes against the Chiefs. Although he is likely to play as a WR3 in Year 1, Ridley has all of the tools to be an effective starter down the road. Grade: B+

Carolina Panthers: Curtis Samuel, WR. The second-year pro looks like he is ready to step into a key role as a designated playmaker on the perimeter. Against the Dolphins, Samuel snagged two passes for 65 yards, including a 39-yard bomb down the sideline that showcased his athleticism and ball skills. The speedster also added a 26-yard reception on a catch-and-run following a tightrope grab near the sideline. No. 10 looks like he could make contributions as a WR3 or WR4. Grade: B+

Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB. The second-year pro had an up-and-down performance against the Broncos. Trubisky connected on 9 of 14 passes for 90 yards with one touchdown and one interception. No. 10 made a few nice plays in the passing game that showcased his mobility and touch, but his turnover woes (one interception and a fumble that resulted in a safety) remain a major concern for a team that struggled to score points in 2017. If the Bears are going to make a run at respectability this season, they will need Trubisky to start stringing together consistent performances as a passer and playmaker. Grade: C+

Dallas Cowboys: Randy Gregory, DE. Gregory was reinstated in July after being suspended in 2017 for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Playing in his first game since the 2016 regular-season finale, Gregory showed some promise as a pass-rushing specialist off the edge against the Bengals. Despite failing to record a tackle, No. 94 had a big third-down pressure on Andy Dalton that led to an incompletion. Most importantly, Gregory played with the kind of energy and enthusiasm that could make him an effective playmaker in obvious passing situations. Grade: B-

Detroit Lions: Ameer Abdullah, RB. The former preseason "Hype Bunny" could find himself on the roster bubble if he continues to struggle with ball security in games. Against the Giants, Abdullah flubbed an exchange with Matthew Stafford in the backfield and muffed a kick return. Considering how Lions coach Matt Patricia despises turnovers, Abdullah's fumbling woes could put him on the hot seat in Week 3. Grade: F

Green Bay Packers: Josh Jackson, CB. Against the Steelers, the rookie corner flashed the athleticism, instincts and playmaking skills that helped him lead the nation in interceptions last season. Jackson scored on a third-quarter pick-six on a late throw from Joshua Dobbs on an out route. In addition, he broke up a pass intended for James Washington, exhibiting good instincts and awareness. Grade: B+

Los Angeles Rams: Sean Mannion, QB. After laying an egg in the Rams' preseason opener, Mannion bounced back with a better performance against the Raiders. He completed 10 of 16 passes for 84 yards without a touchdown or interception. Although the fourth-year pro didn't make any splash plays, he played well enough to keep the offense on track and put up a few points under his guidance. It might not be enough to convince the coaching staff that Mannion could thrive as a temporary QB1, but it certainly alleviates some of the team's concerns over his ability. Grade: C+

Minnesota Vikings: Mike Boone, RB. The rookie running back is making a serious run at the RB3 job with his strong play. Against the Jaguars, Boone rushed for 91 yards on 13 carries in an impressive performance that showcased his explosiveness as a playmaker. No. 44 not only dazzled with his speed and quickness, but he also showed the kind of vision, balance and body control that coaches love in RB1s. Coming off an impressive pro day that teased scouts with his explosiveness (the Cincinnati product posted a 42-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot-7 broad jump), Boone looks like a hidden gem on the Vikings' roster. Grade: B+

New Orleans Saints: Taysom Hill, QB. After making a strong push for the Saints' QB2 job with an excellent performance in the team's preseason opener, Hill delivered a dud against the Cardinals. Despite completing 11 of 15 passes for 68 yards, Hill committed four turnovers (two interceptions; two fumbles lost) and looked nothing like a dependable option as a backup. Grade: F

New York Giants: Davis Webb, QB. After laying an egg in the Giants' preseason opener, Webb responded with a strong effort against the Lions that gave the football world a peek at what led the team to proceed with him as a QB2. The second-year pro completed 14 of 20 passes for 140 yards and a touchdown, with a few "dimes" to Sterling Shepard and Russell Shepard on vertical throws. In addition, Webb showed nice touch and anticipation on his 8-yard scoring strike to Wayne Gallman on an angle route. Grade: B

Philadelphia Eagles: Nate Sudfeld, QB. With Nick Foles sidelined by a shoulder injury in the second quarter against the Patriots, the Eagles needed to see if their QB3 could fill in as a spot starter. Based on his efforts, Sudfeld might be up for the job. He completed 22 of 39 passes for 312 yards, with three touchdowns and one interception. The third-year pro not only displayed outstanding poise and composure in the pocket, but he showed terrific touch, timing and anticipation delivering an assortment of teardrops and lasers to receivers all over the field. Sudfeld's strong play could allow the team to keep Carson Wentz on the sideline until he is ready to play when the regular season opens. Grade: A-

San Francisco 49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB. The 49ers' QB1 continues to dazzle as a quick-rhythm passer from the pocket in Kyle Shanahan's system. Garoppolo consistently delivered the ball within the strike zone on an assortment of short and intermediate routes all over the field against the Texans. In addition, he threw the ball well on the move, particularly rolling to his right on naked bootlegs. Overall, the fifth-year pro connected on 10 of 12 passes for 136 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Grade: A-

Seattle Seahawks: Rasheem Green, DE. The rookie pass rusher has been the Seahawks' most impressive player of the preseason. Against the Chargers, Green added another 1.5 sacks to his preseason total (3.0 in two games) and flashed disruptive skills as a run defender with a tackle for loss following an impressive disengagement at the point of attack. With the Seahawks desperately looking for a dominant player off the edge, Green's strong play could earn him a starting spot when the regular season rolls around. Grade: A+

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: M.J. Stewart, CB. Given the impact of turnovers on the outcome of games, Stewart deserves high marks for forcing a pair of fumbles against the Titans. The scrappy cover corner not only has a knack for knocking the ball loose, but he's shown improving cover skills on the perimeter. If he continues to progress in coverage, the rookie has a chance to earn major minutes on the island as a nickel corner. Grade: A-

Washington Redskins: Daron Payne, DT. The 'Skins' defensive line might wreck shop this season with an Alabama duo (Jonathan Allen and Payne) on the interior. Payne is already making his presence felt as a disruptive force at the point of attack, as evidenced by his solid performance against the Jets. The rookie defender notched a sack and provided consistent pressure in the A-gaps as a destructive playmaker against the run and pass. Grade: A-

PapaBear.OR
PapaBear.OR's picture
POST COUNT: 10339
Re: NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

The Shadow wrote:

NFC preseason grades, Week 2: Josh Rosen, Daron Payne excel

By Bucky Brooks

Preseason Week 2 grades: NFC

 

Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB. The second-year pro had an up-and-down performance against the Broncos. Trubisky connected on 9 of 14 passes for 90 yards with one touchdown and one interception. No. 10 made a few nice plays in the passing game that showcased his mobility and touch, but his turnover woes (one interception and a fumble that resulted in a safety) remain a major concern for a team that struggled to score points in 2017. If the Bears are going to make a run at respectability this season, they will need Trubisky to start stringing together consistent performances as a passer and playmaker. Grade: C+

 

Fair enough.

Butkus never wore an earring

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 7815
Re: NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

PapaBear.OR wrote:

 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY The Shadow

NFC preseason grades, Week 2: Josh Rosen, Daron Payne excel

By Bucky Brooks

Preseason Week 2 grades: NFC

 

Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB. The second-year pro had an up-and-down performance against the Broncos. Trubisky connected on 9 of 14 passes for 90 yards with one touchdown and one interception. No. 10 made a few nice plays in the passing game that showcased his mobility and touch, but his turnover woes (one interception and a fumble that resulted in a safety) remain a major concern for a team that struggled to score points in 2017. If the Bears are going to make a run at respectability this season, they will need Trubisky to start stringing together consistent performances as a passer and playmaker. Grade: C+

 

Fair enough.

Game 3 will tell us more. There will be game planning, scheming, and a general unleashing of the defense and offense. This will be a true indicator of where the Bears are. This is the true practice game. What we will see is what we will get for this year. Game 4 will be the usual scrub, fringe player snoozefest.

re-Build 3.0

Bears are who we thought they be.

Getting better though....

The Bears are in year 6 of a 3 year rebuild.

PapaBear.OR
PapaBear.OR's picture
POST COUNT: 10339
Re: NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

The Shadow wrote:

 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY PapaBear.OR

 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY The Shadow

NFC preseason grades, Week 2: Josh Rosen, Daron Payne excel

By Bucky Brooks

Preseason Week 2 grades: NFC

 

Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB. The second-year pro had an up-and-down performance against the Broncos. Trubisky connected on 9 of 14 passes for 90 yards with one touchdown and one interception. No. 10 made a few nice plays in the passing game that showcased his mobility and touch, but his turnover woes (one interception and a fumble that resulted in a safety) remain a major concern for a team that struggled to score points in 2017. If the Bears are going to make a run at respectability this season, they will need Trubisky to start stringing together consistent performances as a passer and playmaker. Grade: C+

 

Fair enough.

Game 3 will tell us more. There will be game planning, scheming, and a general unleashing of the defense and offense. This will be a true indicator of where the Bears are. This is the true practice game. What we will see is what we will get for this year. Game 4 will be the usual scrub, fringe player snoozefest.

I agree it will tell us more but I wouldn't anticipate a LOT of game planning or scheming.  Even though it's the dress rehearsal that usually applies more to the player packages and the length of time they will be in, getting the starters live reps and into rythm of going into and coming out of half time.  Especially for a brand new coaching staff with a new system, I would expect them to continue to keep the schemes fairly close to the vest.

Butkus never wore an earring

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 7815
Re: NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

PapaBear.OR wrote:

 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY The Shadow

 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY PapaBear.OR

 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY The Shadow

NFC preseason grades, Week 2: Josh Rosen, Daron Payne excel

By Bucky Brooks

Preseason Week 2 grades: NFC

 

Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB. The second-year pro had an up-and-down performance against the Broncos. Trubisky connected on 9 of 14 passes for 90 yards with one touchdown and one interception. No. 10 made a few nice plays in the passing game that showcased his mobility and touch, but his turnover woes (one interception and a fumble that resulted in a safety) remain a major concern for a team that struggled to score points in 2017. If the Bears are going to make a run at respectability this season, they will need Trubisky to start stringing together consistent performances as a passer and playmaker. Grade: C+

 

Fair enough.

Game 3 will tell us more. There will be game planning, scheming, and a general unleashing of the defense and offense. This will be a true indicator of where the Bears are. This is the true practice game. What we will see is what we will get for this year. Game 4 will be the usual scrub, fringe player snoozefest.

I agree it will tell us more but I wouldn't anticipate a LOT of game planning or scheming.  Even though it's the dress rehearsal that usually applies more to the player packages and the length of time they will be in, getting the starters live reps and into rythm of going into and coming out of half time.  Especially for a brand new coaching staff with a new system, I would expect them to continue to keep the schemes fairly close to the vest.

Just going off of what HC Nagy said in his presser.

re-Build 3.0

Bears are who we thought they be.

Getting better though....

The Bears are in year 6 of a 3 year rebuild.

Calbrooks
Calbrooks's picture
POST COUNT: 7147
Re: NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

The Bears went into Denver and came out with a thrilling (or about as thrilling as you can get for a preseason game) victory in the Mile High City on Saturday night, by a score of 24-23. Overall, the defense held their own in this contest, save for a rough patch for the second stringers against Broncos quarterbacks Case Keenum and Chad Kelly.

Upon further review of the contest, that is every play on the defensive side of the ball for the Bears, I came away with multiple observations and reached a few conclusions that I may have missed had I merely watched the game live. Some will definitely matter to the 2018 season’s success and/or have great ramifications on who makes the final 53-man roster.

Here is what I learned after breaking down game tape of the Bears’ defense against the Broncos.

Goldman’s impact in the passing game transcends the stat sheet

It did not take long for me to notice the impact that Bears defensive tackle Eddie Goldman had on this football game.

It took four defensive plays, to be exact.

Everybody who follows the Bears should know of Goldman’s prowess in the run game, which has been proven over the past few years. What they may not know is that he helps the team’s pass rush by doing non-glamorous work that doesn’t show up in the box score at the end of the day.

https://theloopsports.com/2018/08/22/film-breakdown-bears-defense-vs-broncos/

Clips and analysis in the link.

Train like you are 2nd, but play like you are 1st.

The Shadow
The Shadow's picture
POST COUNT: 7815
Re: NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

As far as Pre-Season goes. I look at the score board when the starters exit the game. That is my final score. I do not give a whole lot of significance to late wins by backups and scrubs. They will not be playing when the games really count. It is nice to see them have some success and fill out the roster, with the knowlege that they could play a bit if called upon. I just can't get all fired up about 3's playing against 3's.

re-Build 3.0

Bears are who we thought they be.

Getting better though....

The Bears are in year 6 of a 3 year rebuild.

me654
me654's picture
POST COUNT: 1201
Re: NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

The Shadow wrote:

 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY PapaBear.OR

 

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY The Shadow

NFC preseason grades, Week 2: Josh Rosen, Daron Payne excel

By Bucky Brooks

Preseason Week 2 grades: NFC

 

Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB. The second-year pro had an up-and-down performance against the Broncos. Trubisky connected on 9 of 14 passes for 90 yards with one touchdown and one interception. No. 10 made a few nice plays in the passing game that showcased his mobility and touch, but his turnover woes (one interception and a fumble that resulted in a safety) remain a major concern for a team that struggled to score points in 2017. If the Bears are going to make a run at respectability this season, they will need Trubisky to start stringing together consistent performances as a passer and playmaker. Grade: C+

 

Fair enough.

Game 3 will tell us more. There will be game planning, scheming, and a general unleashing of the defense and offense. This will be a true indicator of where the Bears are. This is the true practice game. What we will see is what we will get for this year. Game 4 will be the usual scrub, fringe player snoozefest.

and half time adjustments. its important yes

"Jay Cutler can throw a football and cut it through the elements as well as anyone out there. Arm talent immense, the upside you love it. The reason I'm critical is I wish I had it"-Trent Dilfer

me654
me654's picture
POST COUNT: 1201
Re: NFC preseason grades, Week 2:
0

The Shadow wrote:

As far as Pre-Season goes. I look at the score board when the starters exit the game. That is my final score. I do not give a whole lot of significance to late wins by backups and scrubs. They will not be playing when the games really count. It is nice to see them have some success and fill out the roster, with the knowlege that they could play a bit if called upon. I just can't get all fired up about 3's playing against 3's.

buuuttttt.....thats why they play 4 qtrs cheeky

"Jay Cutler can throw a football and cut it through the elements as well as anyone out there. Arm talent immense, the upside you love it. The reason I'm critical is I wish I had it"-Trent Dilfer

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
MEMBERS ONLINE: 0